SENIOR CORPORATE AFFAIRS MANAGER - JOB DESCRIPTION
JOB TITLE: Senior Corporate Affairs Manager
REPORTS TO: Director of Government Affairs and Sustainability, Bupa UK
DEPARTMENT: Corporate Affairs, Bupa UK
JOB BASED AT: Bupa House, London WC1A 2BA
To devise, manage and deliver proactive and reactive government and stakeholder relations activities, as assigned by the Director of Government Affairs and Sustainability, and support the delivery of the external ‘system-shaping’ elements of Bupa UK’s Corporate Affairs strategy.
The Senior Corporate Affairs Manager will work in conjunction with all other members of the Bupa UK Corporate Affairs team, including media relations, sustainability and internal communications functions.
The job-holder will work closely with Bupa UK’s leadership team across the range of business areas and with colleagues from marketing functions to align internal audiences and devise and communicate clear and accurate external policy positions and messaging, ensuring consistency and alignment of messaging within Bupa UK.
The job-holder will also work in close alignment with other Centre Corporate Affairs colleagues around government affairs and other issues, when required.
Alongside, government affairs responsibilities the job-holder will have responsibility for delivering elements of Bupa UK’s Sustainability agenda including external partnerships which impact on the future of health and care delivery across the UK.
This is a proactive and busy role which requires enthusiasm, energy and a focus on helping to devise creative strategies focused on delivering against business objectives and Bupa UK’s strategic priorities. The job holder will need to be able handle complex issues, think creatively and manage multiple and competing priorities.
The Senior Corporate Affairs Manager will have day-to-day management over projects delivered by external consultants/agencies (within parameters agreed with the Director of Government Affairs and Sustainability or the Director of Corporate Affairs).
ACCOUNTABILITIES AND ACTIVITIES
Government Affairs and Stakeholder Relations
- To help develop and manage the implementation of government and stakeholder relations strategies and programmes which:
- enhance Bupa's standing among key opinion formers and policymakers, particularly members of Her Majesty’s Government, civil servants, advisers, regulators and the UK Parliament, with an additional responsibility for the legislatures of the devolved nations, when required
- enhance the quality and depth of Bupa’s political, policy and stakeholder relationships
- reflect the vision and strategy objectives of the Corporate Affairs function
- support and span Bupa UK’s business units,
- To take responsibility for facilitating a programme of external events with a range of key opinion formers including academics, think tanks, politicians, public officials, advisers and relevant industry experts on behalf of the UK Executive Team, with the aim of influencing the emerging policy debate and demonstrating Bupa’s thought leadership expertise.
- To provide strategic counsel to the businesses by providing political and policy intelligence and analysis of relevant emerging policy and political developments, together with clear recommendations to senior colleagues.
- To develop and deliver external stakeholder campaigns, as required, to enhance understanding of, and regard towards, Bupa among key audiences.
- To build relationships with key policy/political stakeholders on behalf of Bupa to strengthen understanding of our business, generate goodwill and to minimise negativity.
- To build and maintain relationships with all levels of management within the business and attend meetings with senior representatives, where appropriate.
- To produce high quality written materials to support the delivery of all activity, including briefings, brochures, speeches, and reports.
- To take his/her turn as Duty Press Officer to cover out-of-hours media calls and to prepare media briefing for sign-off by a senior corporate communications professional.
- To highlight and take relevant action over issues/crises to limit communications damage and, wherever possible, protect Bupa’s corporate reputation.
- To manage and deliver defined programmes within Bupa UK’s Sustainability agenda including, in liaison with colleagues across Corporate Affairs and Bupa’s Sustainability Network, partnerships which impact on the future of health and care delivery across the UK.
QUALIFICATIONS, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
- Experience in government affairs, corporate communications including proven expertise in devising and implementing effective government affairs campaigns.
- Experience in representing an organisation at external events with priority political and policy stakeholders. Confidence in advocating the company’s position in such external and public fora, including defending business decisions.
- Excellent communication, negotiation and interpersonal skills
- Excellent organisational skills including the ability to produce high quality work to tight deadlines in a pressurised environment
- Excellent understanding of the UK political and policy environment and the ability to interpret the impact of policies on the business
- Ability to devise the strategy for, define deliverables and implement high quality government relations programmes
- Ability to work with staff at all levels within the organisation, including giving direct advice to senior leaders
- Ability to assume responsibility for key projects and lead/manage colleagues from across the business to support the implementation of these
- Analytical skills to identify a range of solutions/options for any given issue
- High level of PC literacy
- Excellent written skills
- Excellent creative sills
- The ability to digest and interpret complex and detailed information
- Flexible approach
- Preferably educated to degree level
The jobholder must have detailed knowledge of the UK political and policy landscape and key opinion formers, including in the media, business, think tanks, charities and in healthcare.He/she must be able to analyse and interpret policy proposals and political trends and think strategically in order to advise Bupa UK effectively.
The jobholder must also have detailed knowledge of the business, the market in general and the political and social factors affecting these.He/she needs to be aware of changes within and the demands of the business and its market in order to help meet the communications needs of the business effectively.
He/she must also be able to analyse and appraise information and situations to recommend the appropriate action and provide the business with the corporate affairs advice which is effective and of benefit to the business.
FREEDOM OF ACTION
The jobholder has responsibility for delivering proactive and reactive government affairs, stakeholder relations and sustainability activities.
- Internal liaison with all parts of Bupa.
- External liaison with politicians, public officials/civil servants, advisers, stakeholder audiences, media and industry bodies, including being the Bupa ‘voice’ at some external events with political/policy stakeholders.
The jobholder must be comfortable:
- working in a competitive market environment
- understanding the political and social factors affecting the market
- working to tight deadlines in a pressured environment
- working in a matrix environment, covering all aspects of Bupa’s business.
Based in Bupa House, London with limited travel in the UK, primarily to Manchester, Leeds or Staines.